They, the Wamesit, had been granted 6,000 acres of the best land in the area surrounding Marlborough as early as 1643 by Mr. The land was of such good quality, the settlers of Marlborough desired the land and to their dismay, the settlers found that they could not have the Indians ousted. Elliot was being honored by the Massachusetts Bay Council and they refused to go back on their word.
The Indian village, which was referred to by the settlers as Whipsuppenick, was there to stay.
The Indians were self-supporting, peaceable and adapting to the English way of life and, unfortunately, either hatred or greed for the land kept relations between Marlborough and Whipsuppenick on the edge of war.
To properly pass the remains it was required that the remains pass from their current place of rest into the possession of an Indian Chief who in this case would be Chief Natachaman.
In addition to retrieving the remains, a proper place of burial had to be found.
It is not certain as to what actually happened after the discovery, however the remains were turned over to authorities who apparently did some research and it was determined that the remains where that of four Native Americans. In 1990, Gary Brown was doing some research on Marlborough properties and he kept on coming across a reference to "Dorchester" burials.
He thought it to be unusual to be reading about Dorchester in Marlborough records.
Two hundred and fifty years passed when in 1950 construction for a water line to a house was undertaken.
As the digging began it was discovered that there were human remains buried in the place that the water line was to be set. Peabody Foundation at the Phillips Academy where they were placed in storage for further investigation and there they lay, never to be looked at again until.Gary Brown made contact with the Cemetery Department and it was decided that to bury the remains in the Old Common Burial Ground behind the Walker Building.This place of internment would be close to the original land if not on the original land which was owned by the Nipmuc Indian.His first contact would be that of Walter Vickers a Native American Nipmuc Chief known as "Natachaman" (NA - TACH - A - MAN) who lives in Northborough to discuss how to get the remains back to Marlborough and eventually to a proper burial.Using a newly enacted Federal Law which in part states that "all Native American remains held in repositories, must be returned to the place of their disenternment and reburied" (this was certainly the first case in Massachusetts to have the Law applied and possibly the first and only case in United States where it was used).In what is surmised as an attempt to escape, three adults were shot and the one infant in the arms of the parent was similarly disposed of.